Articles about solicitors and legal services

Family compensated after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning at hotel

Seven members of a family have each received compensation after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning while staying at a hotel.

Their ages ranged from three weeks to 74 years at the time when the incident happened in 2006. They became ill and suffered from headaches and vomiting while staying together at a hotel between Christmas and New Year.

Hospital tests showed that they had elevated levels of carboxyhaemoglobin in their blood. This is caused by breathing in carbon monoxide.

Some of the family members were kept in hospital overnight but none required prolonged treatment. One had to undergo counselling after being diagnosed as suffering from anxiety disorder.

Tests carried out at the hotel showed that pipes near to the rooms where they had been staying were unsafe.

The hotel owners disputed liability. Total damages of between £1,500 and £6,750 were agreed in an out-of-court settlement.

Anyone who suffers injury or illness as a result of someone else’s negligence is entitled to claim compensation. Please contact us for more information.

If you wish to make an appointment, or ask us a question please contact us.